Monday, October 28, 2013

inspiration of the week: alternative chandeliers

One important design element that's often overlooked, is great lighting. And as you can guess by the title of this blog, my favorite type of lighting to shop for is a sparkly crystal chandelier. When I was designing our nursery, I spent a lot of time looking for a great chandelier that could work for a little boy's room. I didn't want something kitschy like an airplane or giant hot air balloon (although those can have their place). I ended up finding a whole world of alternative chandeliers outside of my beloved crystal fixtures. Here are some of the great pieces I found inspiring.


this chandelier is made from coconut beads and gives a wonderful earthy, fresh vibe to this dining space
:: source ::
this unique chandelier has eighty hanging notes - thirty-one are printed with expressions of love in various languages, and the other forty-nine are left blank for the owner to add their own sentiments!
:: source ::
I love how this turquoise chandelier adds a pop of color to an otherwise neutral space!
:: source :: 
we've all seen the mason jar chandeliers, here's a fun twist for a bar using alcohol bottles
:: source ::
I realize this is treading the line towards a traditional crystal chandelier, but I couldn't help myself. I love the oversize scale of this fixture and the layers of the starburst.
:: source ::
this modern geometric chandelier fits perfect in this neutral minimalist space
:: source ::
I've seen a lot of chandeliers using candles, but I love the DIY nature of this version. Using a simple metal basket and some battery operated candles, you could make this farmhouse chandelier yourself.
:: source ::
I couldn't feature a collection of chandeliers without including a birdcage chandelier. It's a great way to add an eclectic lighting element.
:: source ::
here is the chandelier that ended my quest and will hopefully be featured soon in baby Alexander's nursery
:: source ::
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...