Tuesday, March 12, 2013

DIY Leaning Floor Mirror

I'm not going to lie, I would love to have an infinite budget to buy wonderfully chic things for my home every time I see something that strikes my fancy. Unfortunately, my budget (even before becoming a student) does not allow for that. So I take pride in my crafty side and try to come up with thriftier alternatives that I can do myself. A few projects now and then can really curb my home-decor shopping bug.

Here's an easy project that the hubby helped me out with when I really needed a leaning floor mirror for the guest room. I love the presence that a large scale mirror gives a room. It fills up vertical space without taking up too much room on the floor. Not to mention the lean of the mirror gives a very flattering perspective of yourself! 

The inspiration...
look at the size of this guy
I knew I couldn't make this, but it's too gorgeous not to include.
love the whole rustic vibe of this space
I would definitely feel like a princess waking up here
My DIY version...

Supplies:
  • Tape Measure
  • Mirror (mine is 24" x 64")
  • OSB board (1/2" thick)
  • Boards for the Frame
  • Wood Glue
  • Mirror Adhesive
  • Mitre Box 
  • Clamps
Step 1. Determine the finished mirror size. I looked at quite a few floor mirrors and kept those measurements as a guide. Then I measured my space to make sure the scale would be appropriate. My finished mirror measures 32" x 72".

Step 2: Get your mirror. You can find old mirrors at thrift stores, but I had mine cut by a glass store. I was able to get this mirror for $60. If you're having the mirror cut, you'll want them to sand the edges so they aren't sharp.

Step 3: Gather your frame materials. To provide stability, I got a piece of OSB board to mount on the back of the mirror. You can use plywood, but it's more expensive and heavier. I didn't want the board to show from the side, so I subtracted 2" from the height and width of the finished mirror (including frame). For the frame, I liked the rustic look of the knotty pine and chose a 4" width. 

Step 4: Cut your frame. We don't own a circular saw, so I bought a mitre box. We cut the boards at a 45 degree angle so they came together seamlessly at the corners. If you're going to stain or finish the boards, do that now.

Step 5: Glue it all together. Follow the directions for the mirror adhesive. We used generous amounts to make sure the board would hold the weight of this size mirror. Carefully flip the mirror over and secure it to the board. Using wood glue, adhere the frame pieces to the board edges. Use clamps to secure the fit and let set as directed.

Step 6: For added safety, you can secure your mirror to the wall with a mount.

I originally planned to take a hammer to the wood and stain it to give it a "reclaimed" look, but I ended up loving the light pine and kept it as-is. 

So what do you think? Can this DIY version hold up to the expensive versions? 

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...